THAI KHAO TOM MOO Recipe
Thailand's breakfast for champions.
A comfort food, the soup makes a wonderful meal. Besides being a popular breakfast item in Thailand (hold the bacon, give me pork balls!), it is also their version of chicken soup for the days when one is under the weather.
- Â¼ cup canola oil
- 6 cloves garlic, finely minced
- Â½ lb ground pork
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- A pinch of white pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 6 Cilantro roots, if available, cleaned, smashed
- 3-4 Tablespoons fish sauce
- 1Â½ Tablespoons preserved radish, soaked, chopped
- 2 cups lightly packed cooked jasmine rice
- Â¼ cup green onions, white parts only, finely chopped
- Â¼ cup, cilantro, finely chopped
- Â½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- Preparing the garlic oil: In a small pot, heat the oil and garlic and fry till the garlic is light golden brown. Remove from heat and it will continue to cook to golden brown. Set aside.
- Preparing the meatballs: Mix together the meatball ingredients (pork, salt and pepper)
- Preparing the soup: In a large pot, bring soup ingredients (chicken stock, cilantro roots, fish sauce, radish and rice) to boil.
- Grab a small handful of the pork mixture and gently squeeze out a small amount of the meat between your index finger and thumb. Using a spoon, scoop out the meatball and drop into the soup. When all the meat is done, boil for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Scatter the green onions and cilantro. Add all the garlic oil and white pepper.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 547g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 238||37%|
|Total Fat 26.65g||33%|
|Saturated Fat 5.75g||23%|
|Trans Fat 0.06g|
|Total Carbs 77.98g||21%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.0g||10%|