Mon Gateau Au Chocolat Recipe
An absolutely wonderful cake; most traditionally served without icing. If you're including kids, might want to add your favorite, but I love it the "old school" way!
Cost per serving $0.82 view details
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, preferably Lindt broken into pieces
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- About 2 teaspoons confectioner's sugar, for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Butter a 9 1/2-inch pan or deep, non-stick cake pan
- Combine the chocolate, butter and granulated sugar in the top of a double boiler placed over simmering water
- Melt over medium heat, stirring until the ingredients are thoroughly blended. Set the mixture aside to cool.
- Whisk the egg yolks into the chocolate.
- Beat the egg whites in a large bowl just until they form peaks; do not over-beat
- Add one-third of the egg whites to the chocolate batter and mix vigorously.
- Gently fold in the remaining whites. Do this slowly and patiently. Do not over mix, but be sure that the mixture is well blended and that no streaks of whites remain
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the cake if firm and springy, 35-40 min
- Cool on a rack for several hours before unmolding
- The cake is traditionally served without icing
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 111g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 349||75%|
|Total Fat 40.65g||51%|
|Saturated Fat 24.43g||98%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 32.31g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.1g||24%|