Mexican Rice Recipe
I was looking for an improved Mexican Rice recipe, so I adapted this one from the America's Test Kitchen cookbook. I used many of the same ingredients, but instead of baking it, which seemed like a waste of energy, I finished it in my rice cooker. The result was a very flavorful and wonderfully textured mexican rice. Browning the onions and rice in the oil gives it a nutty, yummy flavor. My kids commented that it was "way better" than what they normally get in a mexican restaurant. I consider that high praise. As you'll see below, from the link to my Mexican Loco Moco Recipe, I made enough to use the next day for a delicious breakfast dish. We almost always use a 50-50 mix of brown and white rice, which I think works great in this dish. But feel free to use all brown or all white as you please.
- 1 15.5 ounce can diced tomatoes (or two med-large tomates diced)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup long grain jasmine or other brown rice
- 1 1/4 cup long grain jasmine or other white rice
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno chile seeded and minced (use up to 3 if you want spicier rice)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth plus 1/2 cup water
- 1 T tomato paste
- 1/2 cup minced, fresh cilantro
- Heat the oil in a large pot or dutch oven ove medium heat. Add the rice and saute for 1-2 minutes, then add the chopped onion and saute together, stirring occasionally, for about 8 more minutes until light golden. Stir in the garlic and the minced jalapenos, leave for 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes and juice, broth, water, tomato paste, and 1/2 tsp salt. Stir well.
- Pour all of the contents of the pot into your rice cooker and set to regular or quick cook. When the rice is done, fluff it with a fork, fold in the fresh cilantro (and some fresh chopped jalapeno if you want even more kick), and serve. Yum!
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 195g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 184||35%|
|Total Fat 20.67g||26%|
|Saturated Fat 4.12g||16%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 65.51g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.7g||6%|