Crockpot Spanish Chicken and Chickpea soup Recipe
Cost per serving $2.23 view details
- 1 pound dried chickpeas
- 6 chicken drumsticks (about 2 pounds), skin removed
- 1 -ounce piece Serrano ham or prosciutto, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 ounces Spanish-style chorizo, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 8 baby red potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- 1 large leek, white and light green halved and thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads or 1/4 teaspoon powdered saffron
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth or stock
- 1/2 medium cabbage (about 1 pound) cored and cut into 8 wedges Ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Cayenne (optional)
- Soak chickpeas in enough cold water to cover them by 2 inches for at least 12 hours and up to 1 day.
- Place chicken in a -quart (or larger) slow cooker. Drain the chickpeas and add along with ham (or prosciutto), chorizo, potatoes, leek, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaves, oregano, paprika and saffron. Bring broth (or stock) to a boil in a saucepan, then pour it into the slow cooker. Cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 7 hours.
- Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board. Nestle cabbage into the soup, cover and cook until it is tender about 30 . Discard the bay leaves. Remove the chicken from the bones and stir it back into the soup and season with ground pepper to taste.
- Serve sprinkled with parsley and a sprinkle of cayenne for those who like additional spice.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 541g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 49||11%|
|Total Fat 5.74g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 0.98g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.01g|
|Total Carbs 75.96g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 15.8g||53%|