Bourbon Caramelized Onion Jam Recipe
The "must-have" condiment for grilling season. Perfect on burgers, sausages, pulled pork, brisket and more.
Cost per serving $0.84 view details
- 2 pounds red onions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp maple flavoured balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup maple sugar
- 1/2 tsp smoked sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Peel onion, cut in 1/2 and thinly slice with a knife.
- In a measuring cup add the bourbon, water, maple balsamic and maple sugar. Mix well.
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent (about 10 minutes). Season with salt and pepper. Be sure to stir.
- Once the onions are soft, add the liquid mixture.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low.
- Put a lid on the skillet, and cook for about 20 minutes (stirring occasionally).
- Remove the lid, and continue to cook until the liquid reduces (about 30 minutes). Remember to stir.
- Onions are done when the liquid has reduced to the point it coats the onions with a thick syrup. The onions should be very soft, and a nice dark brown colour.
- Remove from heat, and cool slightly.
- Place in a glass jar, and store in the fridge until ready to use.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 148g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 31||26%|
|Total Fat 3.47g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 0.47g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 12.7g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.9g||3%|