Apple Pie Recipe
I bought almost 750gr of (non Granny Smith) sour green apples as I was craving green apples so badly. Unfortunately, I brought home really sour, thick-skinned and hard-to-bite green apples. I only ate probably three apples from the whole bag and still had lots of sour green apples leftover in the fridge - which I found pretty inedible to be eaten just like that. In the end, I decided to make use of them for Apple Pie, something that my husband has challenged me to do for a long time.
- For the Pie Crust:
- 175gr Flour
- 15gr Castor Sugar
- 110gr Chilled Butter, cut in small cubes
- 2 tbsp Ice Water
- For the Apple Filling:
- 600gr Apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 120gr-150gr Sugar, depending on the apples' sourness
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice (I omitted this yesterday)
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon Powder
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 tbsp Butter
- To make the pie crust: In a large bowl/container, combine the flour, castor sugar and chilled butter with fork or fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add the iced water onto the mixture and incorporate well with hands until the dough holds together and is not sticky to the container/bowl.
- Turn the dough into a ball, cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about one hour before using.
- To make the apple filling: In a large bowl, combine the sliced apples, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon powder. Let them sit for minimum 30 minutes to capture the juice
- Once the juice comes out, drain the sliced apples and collect the juice.
- Cover the drained sliced apples with corn starch. Mix well and set aside.
- Bring to boil the apples' juice with butter until it's syrupy and caramelized. Set aside.
- To assemble: Transfer the flattened pie crust dough onto the pie pan.
- Arrange the sliced apples on top of the flattened pie crust dough in the pie pan. Pour the apple syrup onto the sliced apples evenly.
- In a preheated oven, bake the Apple Pie for about 30-40 minutes or until the pie crust is golden brown and the apples are tender (but not mushy).
- Garnish with sifted icing sugar, if desired.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 132g|
|Calories from Fat 154||52%|
|Total Fat 17.57g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 11.02g||44%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 36.21g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.0g||17%|