Beef Enchilada Casserole Recipe
My family and I love enchiladas but sometimes I’m a bit short on time so that’s when I toss together this tasty casserole. Over the years it’s become a favorite comfort food, like a good mac and cheese.
Cost per serving $1.51 view details
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ea 4 oz can whole mild green chilies
- 1 ea 4 oz sliced black olives
- 1 Tb pure ground chile powder (I use Chili de Arbol or Ancho)
- 1 ts cumin
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, Monterey Jack, or a blend)
- 1 batch of my Favorite Enchilada Sauce (see below or use a good canned such as las Plames)
- 1 package corn tortillas (about12 tortillas)
- Garnish with fresh diced jalapenos, fresh chopped tomatoes and sour cream
- Favorite Enchilada Sauce
- 2 ea 14 oz cans beef broth
- 6 Tb ground chilies (I use 2 Tb each of Ancho, New Mexico and Chili de Arbol)
- 2 ts cumin
- Â½ ts garlic salt
- 2 Tb corn starch
- SautÃ© the onions and garlic until just starting to turn translucent.
- Add ground beef, chili powder, cumin and salt. Continue to sautÃ© until meat is browned.
- Remove the browned beef from the heat and mix in 1 cup of enchilada sauce, the black olives and 2 cups of cheese.
- Lightly cover the bottom of a baking dish with enchilada sauce and add one layer of tortillas.
- Layer Â½ of the beef filling over the tortillas.
- Add another layer of tortillas and top with the remaining beef.
- Top with a final layer of tortillas, cover with enchilada sauce, reserving any extra sauce to be added when serving, and top with cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Put the beef broth into a pan along with the ground chilies, cumin and garlic salt and bring to a boil.
- Put the corn starch into a bowl and slowly blend in enough of the sauce to make a thick smooth liquid.
- Pour the corn starch/sauce mixture into the pot with the sauce and stir to mix thoroughly.
- Boil for 2 minutes to thicken and remove from the heat.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 250g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 400||66%|
|Total Fat 44.9g||56%|
|Saturated Fat 22.25g||89%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 8.58g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.0g||3%|