Aloo Gobi-Cauliflower and Potatoes-Indian Style Recipe
Winter and Aloo Gobi go hand in hand! This wholesome vegetable dish with rotis or paranthas...yum!and then leftovers can be stuffed into paranthas and made sandwiches with...so versatile .
An accompaniment to lentil-dals or to lamb or chicken...any which way is good!
Mustard oil has a high smoking point like grape seed oil and is synonymous with indian cooking...extremely heart healthy like olive oil.
Garam masala is not added to all dishes..then everything will smell alike.
- 1 head 400-500 gms Cauliflower
- 1 medium potato cubed
- 1 medium onion diced fine
- 1 tsp ginger grated or finely diced
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin seeds(optional)
- 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes/paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp mustard oil/ sunflower oil
- 2 tsp chopped cilantro/coriander
- 1-2 slit green chillies
- heat the mustard oil in a wok or pan till it smokes.
- Add the cumin seeds and let them crackle if you are using them. if not ,add the diced onions to the oil.
- saute them on a medium flame till the raw smell disappears,add the diced ginger. ginger is a warm spice,generally used in winters to provide warmth to the body.
- add the cubed potatoes and saute on a low flame till they get a light golden colour.
- add the spices-the salt and the turmeric and the paprika/red chilli flakes.now is a good time to add the green chillies if you want to. but beware they pop like mad.
- after about half a minute add the cauliflower,which is still wet (just a few drops of water) from the rinse stir well to coat and cover .
- cook over low heat stirring ocassionally for about 15 minutes,till the potatoes are done.
- over high heat ,let the juices and watery gravy evaporate and stir frequently taking care not to break the florets.
- one or two minutes...and its done.
- sprinkle over some coriander and serve hot
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 69g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 22||34%|
|Total Fat 2.48g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.31g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 9.78g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.4g||5%|