Kurdish Meatballs with Swiss Chard Recipe
Light meat patties stuffed with Swiss chard and simmered in stock with wine.
Cost per serving $1.23 view details
- 1 bunch of Swiss chard, washed
- 2. 500 grams - 1 lb. ground turkey or beef
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried, crushed herbs: sage, rosemary, oregano, thyme - alone or in any combination.
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup water or chicken stock; more if needed
- 1 cup white wine plus 2 tablespoons more
- 1 small bunch scallions
- Cut away the hard white stem of the Swiss chard leaves. Reserve them.
- Put the green leaves in a large pan without any added water. Cook, covered, over low heat till they wilt (about 2 minutes).
- Allow the greens to cool and chop them finely.
- Into a bowl, put the meat, egg, onion, chopped Swiss chard, bread crumbs and spices.
- Mix, then knead till you have a firm, well-blended mix.
- Prepare a skillet with a little oil on the bottom. Fry the meatballs for 5 minutes on each side, just enough to make them hold together and to give them a good brown color.
- Cut the white part of the beet stems into finger-sized pieces.
- In a medium-sized pot, fry the garlic in olive oil for 2 minutes and add the lemon juice.
- Add the meatballs and beet stems. Cover with water or stock.
- Cook, covered, 20 minutes or until the meatballs are done.
- When the meatballs are done, removed them from the pot and put them aside.
- Heat the skillet where the meatballs had fried.
- Add the cup of wine and stir to loosen up any savory bits.
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon cornstarch in 2 tablespoons of more wine and stir it in.
- Add this liquid to the pot and simmer the liquid, uncovered. When it thickens slightly, return the meatballs to the pot.
- Chop the scallions and scatter them over the meatballs just before bringing them to the table.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 427g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 207||43%|
|Total Fat 22.95g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 6.63g||27%|
|Trans Fat 0.68g|
|Total Carbs 8.44g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.9g||3%|