Zesty Salsa for Canning Recipe
Makes about 6 (16 oz) pints or 12 (8 oz) half pints
(I double this recipe to make 7 quarts, it usually makes a little more so I have about 5 pint jars ready in case!)
**note: When I make quarts, I boil for 30 minutes.
Servings: 6 pints
Cost per serving $4.24 view details
- 10 cups chopped cored peeled tomatoes (about 25 medium) ( I use roma tomatos for thicker salsa)
- 5 cups chopped seeded peppers (about 4 large bell peppers) ( I use california chili peppers, serrano, or whatever hot or not hot peppers I have in my garden)
- 5 cups chopped onions (about 6 to 8 medium)
- 2-1/2 cups chopped seeded chili peppers, such as hot banana, Hungarian wax, serrano or jalapeÃ±o (about 13 medium) ( I always use jalepeno here)
- 1-1/4 cups cider vinegar, lemon juice or lime juice
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp leaf oregano
- 2 cans (6oz) tomato paste
- 6 (16 oz) pint or 12 (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- COMBINE tomatoes, green peppers, onions, chili peppers, vinegar, garlic, cilantro, salt, in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- LADLE hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot salsa. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS both pint and half pint jars in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when
- center is pressed.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 620g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 34||9%|
|Total Fat 4.02g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 1.04g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 86.91g||23%|
|Dietary Fiber 30.4g||101%|