Zesty Lentil Soup Recipe
Cost per serving $3.10 view details
- 2 TBS. Olive or Vegetable oil
- 2 large sweet yellow onions chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 carrots (coarsely grated)
- Â¾ TSP marjoram (ground)
- Â¾ TSP thyme leaves, crumbled
- 7 cups broth (beef, chicken or vegetable (4 â 13.75 cans)
- 1 28 oz can of diced fire-roasted tomatoes with their juice
- 1 Â½ cups red lentils
- Â¼ to Â½ TSP freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Â½ TSP sea salt (or to taste)
- 4 oz. white cheddar grated
- 6 oz, viognier or other semi-sweet white wine (sauvignon blanc, fume blanc)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro 2 TBS dried cilantro
- Heat oil in a large stockpot, sautÃ© onions, carrots, marjoram and thyme, stirring the vegetables, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, broth and lentils. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer the soup for about 1 hour or until the lentils are tender.
- Add the salt, pepper, wine and cilantro and simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve warm with cheese sprinkled on each portion. (Note: freezes well)
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 671g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 152||29%|
|Total Fat 17.11g||21%|
|Saturated Fat 7.08g||28%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 60.6g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 24.4g||81%|