Yeast Rolls Recipe
Great recipe from the 40s. No kneading required. By far, the best recipe I've ever baked in my search for wonderful dinner rolls.
Recently, a friend made this dough and put it in her oven to proof with the light on, but it was too hot. When we got it out and looked at it, it was bubbling. So, I tried to save it by putting it in a pie dish and baking it. It expanded so much that it wound up super tall and 10 inches wide. We got some butter and cut a few slices. Wonderful! The lesson here is that it will work as a bread dough, too, but use 2 - 9x5 pans
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup salted butter, melted
- 1 tbs. yeast
- 1/2 tbs. sugar
- 1/4 cup water 105-115 F
- 2 beaten eggs, divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 cups AP flour
- olive oil
- Melt butter, add to milk. Put aside.
- Proof yeast in water with sugar.
- When milk is cool, add 1 1/2 beaten eggs, yeast mix, and 2 1/2 cups flour. Stir well. Save rest of the 1/2 egg for egg wash.
- Add a bit of flour at a time until you have a tacky, wet dough. It should pull away from the side of the bowl as it forms properly.
- Add the salt, combine.
- Put a tbs. of oil on top of the dough.
- Cover, let rise 1 - 1 1/2 hours, until doubled. Ideal temp is 85 F.
- I use the light in the oven in winter, which works great.
- When risen, gently remove dough from the bowl and shape the rolls as desired. Use flour on your hands to form rolls, if needed.
- Let rolls rise until doubled, covered.
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Make an egg wash with 2 tsp. water and the leftover 1/2 beaten egg, brush on the rolls.
- Bake rolls about 12 minutes, then check for doneness. Rolls are done when tops are golden brown.
- Remove from pan and serve.
- If not serving at once, remove from pan and place on a cooling rack, so bottoms don't absorb moisture.
- This recipe makes about 18-24 regular size rolls.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 43g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 65||78%|
|Total Fat 7.41g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 4.28g||17%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 2.14g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.3g||1%|