Yaniqueques (Dominican Johny Cakes) Recipe
Yaniqueque is flat bread, usually round. It is made with ingredients such as flour, salt, and water. This is a comfort food in the Dominican Republic.
I learned how to make yaniqueques from my mother, but then I modified the recipe because I like it one way and she likes it in another. For example, she makes them small and fat. I like bigger and a little bit thinner so it would take less time in cooking. However, I think my mom makes the best yaniqueques. I think that her recipe tastes so good is because she adds something I've never seen anyone add to the yaniqueques--anise seed.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Â½ tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 egg white
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 / 8 teaspoon anise Spanish (optional)
- Oil for frying
- 1. Attach the flat blade that looks like a hook to the electric mixer.
- 2. In a mixing bowl add the flour, sugar and baking powder. Mix at low speed.
- 3. Slowly add the egg white.
- 4. Combine warm water and salt, and add to the mix. Continue mixing well bringing up the speed to medium.
- 5. Add 2 tablespoons of oil. Mix until the mixing bowl is clean and the dough becomes a ball.
- 6. Turn off mixer. Remove the dough and take it to a floured surface.
- 7. Knead with your hands for a few minutes.
- 8. Add the anise and knead again.
- 9. Wrap the dough with plastic wrap and then with a clean cloth. Let stand for 20 minutes at least.
- 10. Cut and shape into medium balls and cover with cloth
- 11. After all balls have been formed roll them out with a rolling pin on a floured surface. You can use a round plate to trace round circles. Then make two slits in the middle of the dough. This is so you can handle it while you fry the yaniqueques.
- 12. Meanwhile, in medium skillet heat oil over low-medium heat and when the oil is hot, carefully drop in the yaniqueques to fry.
- 13. Fry on each side until golden brown.
- 14. Serve hot. They go well with hot chocolate.
- Yields 15 yaniqueques
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 70g|
|Recipe makes 15 servings|
|Calories from Fat 20||14%|
|Total Fat 2.34g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.2g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.05g|
|Total Carbs 26.49g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||4%|