World Champion Oatmeal Bars Recipe
I make a lot of tasty brownies and bars, but few have gotten more raves than these. Of course, I served them to a bunch of SF Giants fans after the Giants won game 2 of the 2010 World Series...so the taste of victory may have mixed in with the chocolate, caramel, and oatmeal crunch of these yummy bars. Even without savoring the victory, I think you'll love them!
- Cooking spray
- 48 soft caramel-candy squares
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees farenheit. Coat a 9-by-13- inch baking pan with cooking spray. Line with a 9-by-21-inch sheet of parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on each short side. Put the caramels and cream in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the caramels are well melted, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Stir together the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Blend in the butter with a fork or until the mixture is coarse; press half of the mixture onto the lined pan. Bake until just set and starting to color around edges, about 20 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the crust with the chocolate chips and drizzle it with the caramel mixture. Top with the remaining crumb mixture and bake until golden, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan. Then cut into squares and serve.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 49g|
|Recipe makes 20 servings|
|Calories from Fat 134||55%|
|Total Fat 15.19g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 9.52g||38%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 25.41g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.6g||2%|