Wonton Mozzarella Sticks And Marinara Recipe
My friends and I enjoy mozzarella marinara at our state fair and game night. So I thought to try and make my own version at home.
This recipe calls for convenient wonton wrappers instead of messy batter. The homemade marinara sauce is fast and flavorful.
This is a great make ahead appetizer. You can cook them and reheat in a 375°F oven on a baking sheet for 10 - 15 minutes. Same with the marinara, reheat on stove until warm.
- Marinara Sauce:
- 1 Small Onion, Minced
- 1 Clove Garlic, Minced
- 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Quart Stewed Tomatoes, Undrained Or
- 4 Cups Vine-Ripened Roma Tomatoes, Chopped
- 6 Oz. Can Roasted Garlic Tomato Paste
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Tsp. Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Dried Oregano
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Dried Basil
- 1 Whole Bay Leaf
- Mozzarella Sticks:
- 48 Each Wonton Wrappers
- 24 Pieces String Cheese, Cut In Half
- Canola Oil for Deep-Fat Frying
- Prepare Sauce: In a large saucepan, sauté onion and garlic in oil. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, salt, oregano, basil and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Remove bay leaf from sauce; set aside. Remove sauce from heat and use a hand blender to purée sauce. Return to stove, add bay leaf and bring to a boil, simmer until thickened. Remove bay leaf and serve with favorite pasta.
- Prepare Mozzarella Sticks: Meanwhile, place an wonton wrapper on a work surface with a point facing you. Place a piece of cheese near the bottom corner. Fold bottom corner of wrapper over cheese; roll up just until cheese is enclosed. Fold sides of wrapper over top. Using a pastry brush, wet the top corner with water. Roll up tightly to seal, forming a tube. Repeat.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry mozzarella sticks, a few at a time, for 1 minute or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Serve marinara sauce with the mozzarella sticks.
- Tip: If you prefer larger mozzarella sticks. Leave string cheese whole and use egg roll wrappers.
- Yield: 4 Dozen & 3 Cups Sauce.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 132g|
|Recipe makes 24 servings|
|Calories from Fat 40||17%|
|Total Fat 4.49g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 1.35g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 40.98g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.8g||6%|