Winter Squash with Caramelized Onions Cassolita Recipe
This was an outstanding dish that we served last night with a lamb tagine. It's fairly easy to put together, and will fill your house with wonderful smells! The sweetness is a nice accompaniment to a spicier dish.
Cost per serving $3.40 view details
- 2 pounds butternut or kabocha squash, halfed lengthwise and seeded
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 pounds onions, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dark raisins
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- To save time on baking, cut the squash halves into 2-3 pieces width wise. Place skin side up on a rimmed baking sheet. Add 1/2 cup of water and cover the squash with paper towels. Put in the oven for 40 minutes or until soft. Remove, let cool, and scoop the pulp out into a large bowl.
- While squash is cooking, heat the oil in a large skilled on medium and lightly toast the almonds until golden, shaking or stirring frequently about 2-3 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove to a bowl.
- Add the onions and saute until translucent - about 10 minutes. Add the salt and pepper to taste, 2 Tbsp parsley, 2 tsp sugar, the cinnamon and raisins, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 25 more minutes until the onions are caramelized.
- Fold the squash in with the onions (or vice versa), correct for seasoning with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with the remaining parsley and the almonds.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 206g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 272||63%|
|Total Fat 32.07g||40%|
|Saturated Fat 1.24g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.18g|
|Total Carbs 31.25g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.5g||18%|