Viennese Mocha Recipe
Traditionally a "Vienna coffee" is the name of a popular traditional cream based coffee beverage. It is made by preparing two shots of espresso in a standard sized coffee cup and infusing the coffee with whipped cream (as a replacement for milk and sugar) until the cup is full. Then the cream is twirled and optionally topped off with chocolate sprinklings. The coffee is drunk through the cream top.
In this recipe I infused bittersweet chocolate to the coffee mixture, producing a rich bold beverage.
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream, Divided
- 1 Tsp. Powdered Sugar
- 1/8 Tsp. Cream Of Tartar (Spice)
- 3 Oz. Bar Bittersweet Chocolate, Chopped
- 3 Cups Strong Hot Freshly Brewed Coffee
- 1/4 Cup Crème De Cacao Or Irish Cream (Optional)
- Chill bowl, beaters and cream before whipping. Place 2/3 cup cream, powdered sugar and cream of tartar into chilled bowl. Beat with electric mixer at high speed until soft peaks form.
- Cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours. If mixture has separated slightly after refrigeration, whisk lightly with wire whisk before using.
- Place remaining 1/3 cup cream in heavy small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Add chocolate pieces; cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes or until chocolate is melted; stir until smooth.
- Add hot coffee to chocolate mixture. Heat over low heat just until bubbles form around edge of pan and coffee is heated through, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in crème de cacao, if desired.
- Pour into 4 warmed mugs. Top with whipped cream. Garnish with chocolate shavings.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 70g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 216||77%|
|Total Fat 25.24g||32%|
|Saturated Fat 16.65g||67%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 17.71g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.6g||12%|