Vegetarian Pumpkin Curry with Butternut Squash and Basil Recipe
Cost per serving $1.71 view details
- 2 cups pumpkin puree, unsweetened
- 4 cups of peeled and blanched butternut squash, Â½ inch cubes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Â½ each sliced red, yellow, green and orange peppers
- 1 cup sliced sweet or Vidalia onion
- 1 cup carrots, Â½ inch chop
- 3 tablespoons curry powder or paste
- 2 cups blanched broccoli (use same blanching procedure as used with butternut squash)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place a stainless steel, medium sized soup pot on the stove over medium-high heat. Once the pot becomes hot, add the olive oil.
- Add the carrots and sautÃ© for two minutes. Add the peppers, and onions, continue to sautÃ© for two additional minutes. Deglaze with the vegetable broth and stir. Add the pumpkin puree, coconut milk, ginger, heavy cream, honey, cayenne pepper and curry paste/powder. Stir the mixture until fully incorporated.
- Place the 4 cups of peeled butternut squash in boiling, lightly salted water for 2-3 minutes. The squash should be cooked no more than 2 minutes so that it is firm to the bite. Drain the cooked squash and place in ice water for 5 minutes. Strain the cooked squash and set aside.
- Add the 4 cups of peeled, blanched butternut squash and broccoli into the curry mixture.
- Add the chopped basil in the mixture add the; season with salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Serve by itself or over rice.
- If you would prefer a non-vegetarian recipe, try adding chicken or shrimp.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 268g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 200||66%|
|Total Fat 23.36g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 15.02g||60%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 24.71g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.6g||15%|