Turkey & Vegetable Quesadillas Recipe
A fast and yummy quesadilla filled with garden veggies which you can use as an appetizer, lunch or supper meal. With green salad and Spanish rice and/or beans to complete, there will be nary a crumb left! Originally featured in Taste of Home as Turkey Quesadillas, the recipe was tweaked a bit for its listing here. Used as an appetizer the recipe will serve 24 people (2 cut portions each), for lunch the recipe will serve 12 (4 cut portions each), or as a hungry-man’s dinner the recipe will serve 6 (all 8 cut portions each). I am listing 12 lunch portions as the serving size for purposes of the nutrition panel below, but this does not consider use of thin or whole wheat flour tortillas which would change data.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup salsa or piquante sauce (I used medium heat)
- 1 cup frozen corn (I used fresh corn cut from cob)
- 2 cups zucchini, julienne in pieces about 1.5 â long
- 1 Â½ cups red bell pepper, julienne in pieces about 1.5 â long
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup (or more) cilantro, snipped
- Â½ teaspoon leaf oregano
- Â½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to taste
- 12 8-inch flour tortillas (I used thin tortillas)
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican-blend cheese
- Optional: Additional salsa to serve, and extra cilantro as garnish
- In nonstick large skillet crumble turkey into pan and add onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat stirring until meat is no longer pink; drain if needed.
- Add salsa, corn, zucchini, red bell pepper and green chilies. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 4-5 minutes til veggies are tender.
- Stir in cilantro, oregano, cumin, salt and red pepper flakes or cayenne. Turn off heat.
- Meanwhile heat an ungreased 10-inch nonstick skillet on medium to medium-high heat.
- For each quesadilla, place one tortilla in pan; sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Then quickly spread Â½ cup of filling over that and top with another 1/4 cup cheese.
- Cover with another tortilla and cook until lightly browned on bottom, turning carefully, and cook until lightly brown on second side and cheese is melted.
- Transfer to cutting board or plate and cut immediately into 8 wedges. Repeat with additional tortillas.
- NOTE: If you have more than 3 cups of the turkey vegetable filling before you begin making quesadillas, you can increase amount slightly in each quesadilla, or save excess for other uses over rice, etc.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 152g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 102||51%|
|Total Fat 11.47g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 5.29g||21%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 7.97g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||5%|