TiraMiSù ExtraOrdinario cake Recipe
Swooning over a sumptuously spirited gourmet Italian TiraMiSù.
Fluffy, creamy and possessing a lighter velvety texture than most versions. The spirited use of Tia Maria and Grand Marnier are only a part of this dessert's fabulous outcome. Here's my simple method of assembling this delight. ' La Dolce Vita ' from my heart to your tummy.
For a dedicated post...refer here:
- . > (American / Metric measures)<
- . 2 cups (500ml) cold, brewed espresso coffee...Note: I use a 10 cup Espresso pot to make this quantity of coffee
- . 7 Tbsps. (105ml): Grand Marnier and Tia Maria...Note: Madeira, Marsala or Port can also be used
- . 4 xLarge eggs (separated)
- . pinch of sea salt
- . 4 Tbsps. (60ml) granulated sugar (separated)
- . 1 small tub (8.8oz/250g) Mascarpone cream cheese
- . 1 big pkg. of Italian cookies: Savoiardi (usually holds 48 cookies) > 15 cookies x 2 surface layers...plus 8 for the third finishing layer...and last 10 cookies (split) for edge décor
- . Garnish:
- . 1-1/2 cups (150g) bittersweet (65-70%) chocolate
- . 1/2 cup (85g) sliced almonds (lightly toasted)
- . Although, I usually use a higher sided platter...this time I wanted to create something a little more elaborate for a special occasion. I used a rectangular 8 x 11inch (20x 28cm) presentation platter with slightly raised sides.
- . Pour the cooled coffee into a shallow dish measuring at least the length of your cookie. Set aside.
- . >> MERINGUE mix: In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites and pinch of salt until you get slightly soft peaks. While adding 2 Tbsps. of sugar, continue beating until stiff peaks have been realized. Set aside.
- . >> CREAM ('zabaglione') mix: Meanwhile, in a large bowl, immediately start combining the egg yolks and remaining sugar. Beat them together right away until a thick, creamy pale consistency is achieved. Add the mascarpone and continue to beat the mix until a smooth. Blend in the liquor. Now, with a spatula...gently fold the MERINGUE mix into the CREAM mix. Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- ...Meanwhile...get the chocolate shaved or grated and set aside.
- . >> ASSEMBLY and decor of the TiraMiSù: Prepare the platter of your choice and figure out the layout as well as pre-distributing the first layer of cookies to facilitate the initial part of the assembly. You'll probably need to break some in half in order to fit the complete surface. This will avoid any surprises while in the midst of having soaked cookies on hand.
- Important note: For this particular presentation platter I placed the first two layers to hold a total of 15 cookies per level. The third level only holds 8 cookies placed side by side in the center. The remaining 10 cookies were split for the decoration around the perimeter.
- . TIP: It is best and more efficient to work as quickly as you can. To wet the cookies into the COFFEE mix, hold one cookie in each hand as you DIP -- TWIRL -- LEAK both cookies simultaneously in order to avoid over soaking them. Immediately transfer cookies onto the platter as you place them side by side in a single layer within your pre-designed layout. With the aid of a ladle and spatula...spread a 1/3 of the CREAM mix over the first layer of cookies. Scatter, the first 1/4 of the chocolate shaving throughout the surface. Note: the cream may seem liquidy...don't be concerned. Once the Tiramisù sets in the fridge...all the ingredients will set together into a unified delicious mass. REPEAT another layer of soaked cookies and spread another 1/3 of the CREAM mix completely over the second layer. Scatter, another 1/4 of the chocolate shaving throughout the surface. The third and last layer is slightly different. You'll use only 8 soaked cookies to be lined up side by side in the center throughout the longest length of the cake. Pour the remaining CREAM and generously scatter the rest of the chocolate shavings throughout the whole surface.
- . >> DECORATING: In the center on the longest direction and down the shortest edge...scatter the toasted almonds. Split the remaining 10 cookies. Place the cut side downwards around the edge of the cake's two longest sides.
- . >> Chilling the TiraMiSù: Since this type of dessert truly benefits from being prepared a while before serving...it is highly suggested to place a few surface toothpicks and cover it with plastic wrap. Chill it for a minimum of 4-6 hours. My preference is to at least leave it overnight to set. For every additional hour it gets to relax, set and amalgamate all the flavours...you will ultimately be rewarded with superior results. Its freshness can also be held between 2-4 days.
- . Happy indulgence from Claudia's kitchen...FOODESSA.com