The Best Mexican Rice Recipe
I made this for a Cinco de Mayo party and it was just like the rice you get in a Mexican restaurant. Light, fluffy, and perfect for your next Mexican fiesta!
Servings: 8-10 Servings
Cost per serving $0.56 view details
- 12 oz. very ripe and cored tomatoes
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 2 medium jalapenos, ribs and seeds removed, quartered
- 2 cups long grain white rice (Trader Joes Jasmine Rice)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1-1/2 tsp. salt
- Adjust rack to middle of oven and preheat to 350 degrees
- Process tomatoes and onion in food processor or blender until pureed and smooth. Transfer to measuring cup and reserve exactly 2 cups. Discard excess.
- Rinse rice in fine mesh strainer under cold running water until water runs clear. Note: You must do this to remove starch, or rice will not be dry and fluffy. Shake to remove excess water.
- Heat oil over medium heat in heavy bottomed oven-safe 10 or 12 inch straight sided dutch oven with tight fitting lid.
- Add rice and fry, stirring, until light golden, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add garlic and jalapenos and cook, stirring constantly for about 1-1/2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, pureed mixture, tomato paste, and salt, increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Cover pan and transfer to preheated oven.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender (do not remove lid).
- Remove from oven, let sit 15 minutes. Fluff with fork and serve.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 174g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 87||32%|
|Total Fat 9.87g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 0.88g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.04g|
|Total Carbs 41.38g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||5%|