The Best Barbecued Chicken Ever With an Amazing Homemade Sauce Recipe
Look no further...What makes this chicken the best is the incredible sauce! We’ve shared other homemade BBQ sauces before but this one tops all the others. It’s a little sweet and a little spicy. You’ll notice one unusual ingredient on the list. Root beer! This ingredient really packs a punch with flavors of sassafras, sarsaparilla, cherry and ginger. We’ve made this chicken skinny by removing the skin and adding very little oil and diet root beer instead of regular to the sauce. Each piece has about 141 calories, 3 grams of fat and 3 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. A regular piece has 294 calories and 20 grams of fat. It’s really yummy...
Weight Watchers Points (old) 3
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 3
Skinny Facts: for one piece
141 calories, 3g fat, 9g protein, 17g carbs, 0g fiber, 280mg sodium, 13g sugar
Fat Facts: for one piece
294 calories, 20g fat, 17g protein, 23g carbs, 0g fiber, 443mg sodium, 19g sugar
- Ingredients for Barbecue Sauce
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- Â½ tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups diet root beer
- Â¾ cup ketchup
- Â½ cup apple cider vinegar
- Â¼ cup brown sugar
- Â¼ cup spicy brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Â¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2. Sprinkle chicken with a little salt and pepper. Arrange on a baking sheet lined with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- 3. In the meantime make the barbecue sauce. In a nonstick pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute for about 2 minutes until onions are soft. Stir in the root beer and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until reduced to Â½ cup, about 15 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on it as it can burn easily.
- 2. Stir in ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, molasses, Worcestershire and red pepper flakes. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- 3. Remove pan from heat and stir in lemon juice.
- 4. Remove cooked chicken from oven. Cool slightly, and remove and discard all the skin.
- 5. Dip chicken pieces into the barbecue sauce to coat. Note: Since the chicken is already cooked thereâs no need to worry about cross contamination. Grill covered for 5 minutes. Turn over and spread with more sauce. Continue to grill until charred about 5 more minutes.
- *To broil instead of grill: Preheat broiler. Dip chicken pieces into barbecue sauce to coat. Place pieces on a baking sheet lined with foil. Broil for 5 minutes, turn over, coat with more sauce and broil for another 4-5 minutes until browned.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 92g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 7||12%|
|Total Fat 0.84g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.1g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 12.77g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.4g||1%|