Tex-Mex Meatball Soup Recipe
A hearty and colorful soup which can be cooked in about 30 minutes. Choose your meat type - beef, sausage, poultry, or a blend if preferred. Using crushed tortilla chips in meatball mixture is a nice way to bump up the corn flavor as well as use up the chip crumbles too small to serve.
- 3/4 pound ground beef (or sausage, turkey or blend)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup finely crushed tortilla chips
- 2/3 cup picante sauce, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 48-ounce carton broth (beef or chicken)
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 1 cup whole kernel corn, frozen or canned
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans
- Optional toppings/accompamiments: additional picante sauce, chopped cilantro
- Combine beef or meat of choice, crushed tortilla chips, 1/3 cup of picante sauce, salt and pepper; mix well and shape into 1" balls. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In large Dutch oven, cook onion in oil over medium heat until onion is tender but not browned, about 5 minutes; add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Add remaining 1/3 cup picante sauce and all the broth.
- Bring to a boil. Add rice and refrigerated meatballs. Cover; bring to boiling point, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add corn and undrained beans, bring to boil again, reduce heat and simmer covered 5 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Optional: serve with additional picante sauce and/or chopped cilantro.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 359g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 137||38%|
|Total Fat 15.25g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 4.05g||16%|
|Trans Fat 0.06g|
|Total Carbs 38.55g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.6g||19%|