Sweet Potato Bourbon Noodle Kugel Recipe
Kugel is a baked dish served in Jewish homes. It can be sweet or savory, and is normally based on either potatoes or noodles. This dish was perfect for the Hanukkah Thanksgiving holiday overlap. Not too sweet, it went perfectly with the traditional Thanksgiving feast. It is supposed to be a rich dish, but the butter can be cut back to make a healthier alternative. We made a gluten free version with GF egg noodles. This was the most popular dish at our Thanksgiving celebration this year and has earned a place with the treasured holiday recipes. It can be made ahead and reheated before serving. It is perfect for large gatherings and potluck meals.
- 3-4 medium sweet potatoes, about 1 1/2 - 2 lbs.
- 4 Tbsp bourbon
- 1 lb wide egg noodles, regular or Gluten free
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, light or dark
- 1 1/2 lbs cottage cheese
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp kosher salt, plus more for salting water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wrap potatoes in aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet. Place in the oven and roast until cooked through, about 70 minutes. Let cool. Peel off skin and purée with the bourbon in a blender or food processor until completely smooth. This should yield about 3 cups of purée. A little more or less is fine. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Butter or spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with pan release spray.
- In a pot of well salted water cook the noodles until soft. Drain in colander, rinsing with cool water to stop cooking.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs, then add the brown sugar and beat until well combined. Add the cottage cheese, melted butter, salt and sweet potato purée, then mix with a rubber spatula until well blended. Add the noodled and mix gently until combined.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish and smooth top. Bake uncovered for 60-75 minutes or until kugel is set. If the top is browning too quickly loosely tent with foil. Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 137g|
|Recipe makes 15 servings|
|Calories from Fat 152||45%|
|Total Fat 17.33g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 9.46g||38%|
|Trans Fat 0.02g|
|Total Carbs 31.22g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.7g||6%|