Super Smoky Southwestern Chili Beans Recipe
Don't you just love a great chili with beans recipe? So do I! I have a go to recipe for chili that my family loves and this recipe is a variation. My usual chili recipe is provocative of warm and cozy days possibly containing rain, but not necessarily. This recipe invokes the light and refreshing fragrances of the days of Spring and Summer, with a myriad of colors and flavors abound. My sister Bonnie, who is not a fan of chili and bean fare,loved it, so I figure even a naysayer may love it as well. Stay tuned for my fall and winter version of the same for year round chili enjoyment!!
- 1, 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 3 chipotle chilies in adobo, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or finely minced
- 1 soft bouillon cube
- 6 radishes, grated
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1/2 tsp. celery seed
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes with juices
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- brown sugar to taste
- palmful chili powder, about 3 tbsp
- 2 15 oz. cans light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 15 oz. cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 19 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/3 c. cilantro leaves, rough chopped
- shredded cheddar cheese and fat free sour cream for garnish
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- In a 5 or 6 quart dutch oven over medium high heat, brown ground beef, until no longer pink.
- Drain and remove all but 1 tbsp. of fat and liquid from oven. Add bouillon cube, chilies, onions, garlic, radishes carrots and celery seed and continue to cook until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Season to taste.
- Add tomatoes with juices, tomato paste, brown sugar to taste and chili powder and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour all beans into a colander and rinse. Allow to drain. Toss everything in colander until evenly mixed together.
- When ready, fold bean mixture into chili base and simmer for 25 minutes more.
- Add corn and cilantro and fold into chili. Simmer for 5 minutes more to heat corn through. Re-season to taste.
- Serve with tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese and fat free sour cream.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 530g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 113||18%|
|Total Fat 12.71g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 4.5g||18%|
|Trans Fat 0.53g|
|Total Carbs 100.2g||27%|
|Dietary Fiber 20.3g||68%|