Sumac chicken and bread salad Recipe
Cost per serving $1.73 view details
- 1200 - 1500g whole chicken
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tbs sumac spice
- 5 tbs olive oil, divided (2 + 3)
- 2 large onions, sliced into thin slices
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- 300 g whole wheat bread, cubed
- 3 cucumbers, small, quartered lengthwise, cut into small slices
- 2 fresh tomatoes, cored and cut into chunks
- Juice ½ lemon, or to taste
Season the chicken with salt and pepper inside and out and rub it with the sumac and olive oil paste. Refrigerate for about 8 hours or overnight.
In a large skillet sauté the onions in the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil, stirring once in a while, until they are limp and turning gold at the edges, around 9 minutes. Season with salt.
Oil a pan large enough to hold the bread in a single layer. Scrape in the bread and onions, and spread them out. Set the chicken on top of the bread and roast in an oven at 190°C for 1 hour. When done, place the chicken on a cutting board and let it rest for 10 minutes.
Transfer the bread and onions from the pan into a big salad bowl and let cool for about 5 minutes. Add cucumbers and tomatoes, squeeze in the lemon juice, and toss. Season with salt and pepper if necessary, add more lemon juice if you want.
Cut the chicken into quarters and serve with bread salad.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 555g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 488||53%|
|Total Fat 54.46g||68%|
|Saturated Fat 12.88g||52%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 51.38g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.7g||19%|