Sugar Cookies with a Spiced Sweet Potato Filling Recipe
Cost per serving $0.26 view details
- Cookie Dough
- 150 g butter
- 150 g of sugar
- 2 g of salt (1/4 teaspoon spoon)
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 vanilla pod (grated) - or 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 230 g of flour
- Spiced Sweet Potato Filling
- 300 g of cooked and mashed sweet potato
- 60 g of honey
- 3 g of cinnamon (1 teaspoon)
- pinch of salt
- zest from a whole lemon
- 20 g of quick oats
- 2 tablespoons of milk (for brushing)
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugar and salt until white and creamy.
- Add the seeds from the vanilla pod (or extract) and then the flour.
- Mix until the dough looks grainy.
- Add the egg and beat until the dough comes together. Put in a bowl, cover and let rest in the fridge while preparing the filling.
- Cook the sweet potato in the oven (30 minutes) or in the microwave (8-10 minutes).
- Scrape the inside into a a blender, add the honey, cinnamon and salt. Pulse for just a few seconds to get rid of any fibers from the sweet potato.
- Pour the mixture in a bowl and add the lemon zest and mix in the quick oats, which will give the filling a little more body.
- Now, take your you cookie dough and on a well floured surface and work it gently for a couple of minutes, just enough to give it some strength.
- Roll it down to about 4 mm thickness, turning it often with the help of your rolling pin (just to make sure it's not sticking to the working table).
- Start cutting out circles with a 6 cm cookie cutter (or any other size or shape you fancy!).
- Drop a little coffee spoon of filling on half of the circles and cover with another half. Seal the edged by pressing. I went over again with the cookie cutter, just to make it look neat.
- Place on a non-stick cookie sheet, brush with a little bit of milk and optionally sprinkle with a little bit of granulated sugar.
- Bake for 16 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius, or until the edges just start to brown.
- Give it a good sprinkling of powdered sugar and serve with a hot cup of coffee.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 60g|
|Recipe makes 16 servings|
|Calories from Fat 79||39%|
|Total Fat 8.95g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 5.14g||21%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 28.53g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||4%|