Stuffed Peppers - BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger Style Recipe
I love stuffed peppers. But my son doesn't like rice and wasn't a fan of the plain flavor of the tomato sauce. So I created these peppers knowing the flavors of BBQ bacon cheeseburger would appeal to him. I used orzo in place of rice. Needless to say he ate 2 and a half at dinner and has asked for all the leftovers to be his only! It was a nice kid friendly change but I still prefer the original. Although if my son has anything to say about it I will only make these from now on... I had much more filling than I thought left over and I used the extra to fill flour tortillas and we had burritos!
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs of ground pork (or beef)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 - 26 oz can of Tomato soup
- 1/2 to 2/3 of an 18 oz bottle of your favorite BBQ Sauce (to taste)
- 6 oz real bacon bits (or cook your own)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 - 1 1/2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1/4 dill pickle relish (more if you like)
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (3/4 cup reserved)
- 2 cups cooked orzo
- 5-6 med green bell peppers, halved, cleaned and blanched till tender crisp
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 350
- Clean and prep green peppers, blanch till tender crisp, then set aside
- Saute ground pork or beef with onions till cooked, add garlic cook 2 more mins. Then add Bacon bits cook another 2 mins.
- Add Tomato soup, BBQ sauce, mustard and relish mix well and simmer till heated through and stir in 1 1/4 cup of cheddar and hot cooked orzo and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the half pepper shells, top with remaining cheddar.
- Loosely cover with foil and bake 20-30 mins till warmed through and peppers are softened. Let stand 5 mins before serving
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 338g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 269||40%|
|Total Fat 30.12g||38%|
|Saturated Fat 12.0g||48%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 65.88g||18%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.5g||18%|