stuffed Acorn Squash Veggie hearts Recipe
This nutritional 'Table Queen' (a.k.a. Acorn squash) full of fibre, plenty of vitamins and minerals was now going to find herself in great company.
For a detailed post...please refer to:
- . > (American / Metric measures) <
- . 1 roasted Acorn Squash
- . VEGETABLE mix:
- . 4 tbsp. (60ml) olive oil
- . 1 large sweet onion
- . 1 red bell pepper
- . 1 small Nappa cabbage
- . 1 bunch of baby Spinach
- . splash of Sherry or White wine (optional)
- . Seasonings: 1 tsp. (5ml) each: sea salt, garlic powder, dried basil and oregano
- . 1/2 cup (65g) shredded aged Cheddar
- . 1/2 cup (65g) shredded Friulano or other mild cheese
- . a little extra cheese for the optional gratin
- . Pre-heat oven at 375F/190C/Gas5 and position rack at the second level from the bottom.
- . Roast SQUASH: Split squash in half and place cut side down on a parchment pre-lined baking sheet. Make tiny incisions in order to permit the squash to exhaust a little steam. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the knife pokes easily through the flesh without it being too soft. Take out of oven to cool slightly before carefully scooping out the flesh to go back into the stuffing.
- . Lower the oven to 350F/180C/Gas4 while the rest is ready to assemble and be put back into the oven.
- VEGETABLE Mix: While the squash is roasting, start caramelizing the onions. Then continue by sauteing all the vegetables and seasonings as mentioned in the ingredients list. Add the optional splash of wine towards the end.
- ASSEMBLY: Place the scooped out squash into a medium bowl along with the cheeses and the vegetable mix. Put the finished mix evenly distributed between the two squash halves and place back onto the baking sheet to bake for another 20 minutes. If you wish, at the very end, a little more cheese can be added and placed under the low broiler setting for another 2 minutes or so until desired gratin is achieved.
- . Serve with a side of salad or simply with crusty bread or crackers. Buon appetito and flavourful wishes...FOODESSA.com
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 14g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 41||73%|
|Total Fat 4.64g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 2.95g||12%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 0.18g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|