Stuart's Super Awesome Cornbread of Wonder and Amazery Recipe
This is my brother and my cornbread recipe. This is the best cornbread recipe you will ever tast
- 1 1/2 c self-rising cornmeal
- 1/2 c self-rising flour
- 1/3 - 1/2 c sugar (1/3 if you only want it kind of sweet, more if you
- really like the sweet stuff)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 c milk (nothing less than 2%, whole if you got it)
- 1/4 c oil
- One 8" or 9" cast-iron skillet
- 1. Preheat oven to 450Â°.
- 2. Put oil into skillet, being sure to coat entire inner surface of
- skillet, and then place skillet into warming oven. (This achieves 2
- goals: The oil is thinned prior to adding it to the batter, and the
- skillet is already hot when you add the complete mixture, ensuring a
- crisp outer edge.)
- 3. Mix together all dry ingredients. Mix in the milk. Mix in the eggs.
- 4. Making sure the skillet and oil are quite hot, but not smoking
- (about 5 minutes in the warming oven), steadily pour and stir in the
- hot oil into the rest of the batter. You want to stir as the oil is
- being poured, or you may risk burning the batter. "...tastes like
- 5. Pour the batter into the now hot pan. If you're lucky, it will
- spatter as it hits the hot iron.
- 6. Throw it in the oven. Wait about 20-24 minutes. The top
- should be golden-brown and cracking a bit from rising. When you pull
- it out, put a knife or toothpick into the center to make sure it's
- quite done (these things can fool you). The knife or pick should come
- out clean.
- Be sure to set your butter out 10 minutes or so before serving, so it
- softens up.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner