Strawberry Almond Foldovers Recipe
Strawberry Almond Foldovers is an interesting recipe, just as its name suggests, in that the dough of these foldovers is salty while the filling is sweet, hence resulting in a perfect combination of sweet and salty. The dough is also quite different than the others that I have tried since it has cream cheese in it. When baked, the cream cheese gives the foldovers a unique smell, which reminds one of bakery items.
This recipe serves as a perfect compliment with a cup of tea or coffee and can be baked and stored in airtight containers. Also, for people with diabetes, this can be a good recipe as the dough of these foldovers is salty and the strawberry jam filling can be replaced with sugar-free jams that are easily available in markets.
Try out this one and I guarantee you that you will give it a permanent place in your list of hi-tea items. Oh and one last thing, I have adapted this recipe from Shireen Anwar's program Masala Mornings. Enjoy!
- Flour 2 cups
- Cream cheese (spreadable) 200 gms
- Butter 200 gms
- Vanilla essence 1/2 tsp
- Strawberry jam 8-10 tbsp
- Flaked almonds as needed
- Egg white (beaten) 1
- Sugar (granulated) for sprinkle
- * In a mixing bowl, add butter, cream cheese, flour & essence and beat on low speed (for 2-3 minutes) till the dough resembles bread crumbs; do not over-beat.
- * Mix with hands till the dough is smooth; if it is too soft, add little flour.
- * Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- * Lightly flour a clean surface and roll the dough about 1/4 inch thick.
- * Cut rounds with a cookie cutter.
- * Put approx. 1 tsp jam in the center and fold to form a semi-circle.
- * Brush with egg white on top, put almond flakes and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- * Bake at 190C for 15 minutes or till golden brown.
- * If the dough is too soft to roll, add flour and roll again.
- * Do not fill too much jam in the center; otherwise it may leak out during baking.
- * Mash the jam if has fruit chunks in it.
- * Different jam flavors can be used for variation.
- * Colored sugar can be used for decoration.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 84g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 186||51%|
|Total Fat 21.18g||26%|
|Saturated Fat 13.07g||52%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 39.74g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||4%|