Steak Blue Cheese Salad with Onion Jam Recipe
Cost per serving $4.72 view details
- 3 small boneless sirloin steaks
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 small slightly stale baguette, cut into 1” pieces
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup walnut halves
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for cooking
- 2 heads romaine hearts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbles
- Salt and pepper
- Rinse the steaks and pat dry thoroughly. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and set aside. You can Sous Vide them instead of cooking in a pan, which is my preferred method.
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a medium non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring constantly, for 7 minutes. Add in 2 teaspoons honey and sprinkle with a little salt. Continue to stir for another 5 minutes until it’s caramelized and golden brown. Set onions aside in a small bowl and wipe out the pan with a paper towel to use later.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Place the baguette pieces in the center and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic powder and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss on the pan to combine, and then spread out into a single layer. Bake for 10 minutes total until golden brown, tossing and turning pieces halfway through.
- Add walnuts to the medium non-stick pan over medium heat. Toast, stirring constantly, until lightly browned about 5 minutes. Remove walnuts to a small bowl and set aside. Wipe out pan again and turn up the heat to medium-high.
- Add 1 tsp. olive oil and the steaks to the hot pan and sear until steaks reach a minimum internal temperature of 132°F -145°F, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer steaks to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes before slicing into 1⁄2” slices (slice against the grain).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the Dijon mustard, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, garlic clove, honey and ¼ cup olive oil. Add the romaine lettuce, walnuts, tomatoes and blue cheese. Toss to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, pile a bed of dressed salad on each plate. Arrange steak slices over the salad and garnish with caramelized onions and croutons on top. Enjoy!
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 536g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 685||61%|
|Total Fat 76.54g||96%|
|Saturated Fat 26.56g||106%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 13.62g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.4g||5%|