Spaghetti Salad Recipe
Fresh garden veggies are the stand-out in this pasta salad recipe -perfect for summer's garden harvest. Pretty as a picture when served in a clear glass bowl. Use 3/4 cup of your favorite Italian Dressing, or prepare the dressing below.
VARIATIONS TO CONSIDER: Use whole grain spaghetti. Add chopped pepperoni and cubed mozzarella cheese. Sub chopped canned artichokes for zucchini. See the chef comments at bottom of page for other great variations ~ yum!
- SALAD INGREDIENTS:
- ½ pound thin spaghetti
- 1 bell pepper chopped (red or green, or ½ and ½)
- ½ red onion chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 zucchini chopped
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- Fresh basil leaves, a good handful (roll and slice in slivers to make about 3/4 cup, or substitute minced flat-leaf parsley)
- 1/3 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
- ITALIAN DRESSING: (Dressing is better if made a day ahead to enhance flavors.)
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons vinegar (cider, balsamic or red wine)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 3/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic (or 1/4 teaspoon granulated)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Break spaghetti noodles in half and cook to al dente stage according to package directions. Drain well; set aside.
- In large bowl, measure the bell pepper, red onion, tomatoes, zucchini, olives, and sliced basil; add spaghetti noodles.
- Shake dressing ingredients together and pour over salad, tossing lightly and coating well.
- Refrigerate 1 to 4 hours to develop flavors. Toss again to disburse dressing; top with Parmesan cheese and serve.
- YIELD: Makes approximately 2 quarts of salad, or about 10-12 servings.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 91g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 172||67%|
|Total Fat 19.27g||24%|
|Saturated Fat 3.07g||12%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 16.95g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.2g||4%|