Smokinhot's Bistro Style Steak Sandwich Recipe
I love sandwiches. This recipe is a 3 course meal including soup all in one. Fresh mushrooms and onions make for super awesome steak accompaniments, while the potatoes and sliced pumpernickel provide the starch and complete the picture. French onion soup brings the whole ensemble together. Bursting with flavor and not skinny on flair, this sandwich is outstanding!!
- 3 1/2 inch thick sirloin steaks, about 1 1/4 lbs.
- 1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
- 3 medium sized baked potatoes, cooked and medium diced
- 4 large button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 can french onion soup, plus 1/2 can water
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 lb. loaf pumpernickel bread
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Olive oil for drizzling
- parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400*F. Preheat grillpan to medium high.
- With a sharp knife, cut steaks in half making 6 1/4 inch thick steaks. With a meat tenderizer and plastic wrap covering, pound steaks to 1/8 inch thickness and season to taste. Sprinkle steaks with worcestershire and set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat cast iron skillet or medium saute pan to medium high heat and drizzle with olive oil. Add 1 tbsp. butter, once melted and sizzling, mushrooms and onions. Saute until mushrooms are browning and onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add diced potatoes and cook until they show signs of browning, about 3 minutes. Season lightly to taste. Add french onion soup and water and bring to a boil. Continue for 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Mix cornstarch with 3 tbsp. water and stir into pan. Bring back up to a boil until you reach desired thickness. Remove from heat and stir in remaining butter. Cover to keep warm.
- Slice pumpernickel into 12 1/4 inch slices and drizzle with olive oil. They do not have to be symmetrical. Place in oven and broil until crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drizzle grillpan with olive oil and add steaks. Cook about 2 minutes each side or to desired doneness. Place 2 slices of cheese on each steak.
- Assembly: place one slice pumpernickel in center of plate. Add steak. Next ladle equal portions of soup atop each steak. Finish with smaller slice pumpernickel. garnish with parsley.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 371g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 307||43%|
|Total Fat 34.59g||43%|
|Saturated Fat 18.02g||72%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 57.52g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.3g||28%|