Slow Braised Red Wine Lamb Stew with Moroccan Spices Recipe
Slow Braised Red Wine Lamb Stew with Moroccan Spices is fragrant and hearty. Elegant comfort food, perfect for a special occasion.
Cost per serving $5.79 view details
- 2 pounds leg of lamb (trimmed and cut into 1 1/2" chunks)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil (your choice)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 pounds potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 8 ounces baby carrots (diagonally cut)
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 2 tsp Alhambra Merguez seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 300º F.
- I used a cast iron dutch oven to cook the entire stew in from start to finish. You may choose to use a frying pan and casserole dish.
- Heat the dutch oven over med-high heat (or your frying pan) and 1 tbsp of oil.
- Add the lamb (in a couple of batches) and brown on all sides. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. This should take about 10 minutes.
- When all the meat is done, add the remaining oil to the pot. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the salt, pepper and Merguez seasoning to the pot and mix well.
- Stir in the flour, mix well, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Whisk in the wine. Be sure to scrape up any brown bits, and smooth out any lumps from the flour. Cook for about 2 minutes, just to cook out some of the alcohol.
- Add the water, tomatoes (and juice) and bring to a boil. Stir to make sure there are no lumps.
- Add the lamb, mix, cover and place in the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and add the carrots and potatoes. Cover and return to oven. Cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add the peas. Cover and return to oven. Cook for 30 minutes, or until veggies are nice and tender.
- Pour some wine, slice some bread....get ready to eat!!
- Ladle stew into bowls.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 654g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 294||43%|
|Total Fat 32.76g||41%|
|Saturated Fat 11.6g||46%|
|Trans Fat 0.18g|
|Total Carbs 48.6g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.3g||24%|