Skinny Turkey Chili Recipe
Nothing beats a delicious and hearty chili on a cold day. Having friends over? Why not set up a chili bar where everyone can top their own. This fabulous chili is now very skinny due to using ground turkey and draining the fat, cooking the onions in the microwave and rinsing the beans before adding to the pot. The end result makes a dramatic difference in the nutrition facts. For a 1 cup serving, this skinny chili has 227 calories, only 2 grams of fat and 5 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. Its high fat counterpart has 401 calories and an astounding 23 grams of fat per serving. Ouch…So make a double batch of this skinny chili and freeze half for another day!
- 1 package ground turkey (about 1- 1Â¼ pounds)
- 1Â½ cups onions, chopped
- 1 clove fresh garlic, chopped or 1Â½ teaspoons from a jar.
- 1 (14 oz) jar pasta or tomato sauce (I like pasta sauce from a jar such as Prego Pasta Sauce)
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can tomatoes, chopped
- Â½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Â½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Â¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- Â¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Â¼ teaspoon salt
- In a large nonstick pan, brown the ground turkey over medium-high heat, stirring often to break up lumps.
- Drain cooked turkey into a colander in the sink and blot with paper towels to remove excess fat.
- Return drained turkey to the pan.
- Place onions in a microwave-safe bowl and cook in the microwave for 4 to 5 minutes, until soft.
- Add the cooked onions to the turkey and stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 228g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 24||6%|
|Total Fat 2.8g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.64g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 78.27g||21%|
|Dietary Fiber 12.8g||43%|