Skinny Irish Pub Beef Stew for St. Patrick’s Day Recipe
This peasant style stew is so hearty and perfect to make for St. Patrick’s Day. I’ve made a skinny version by using lean beef, carrots, onions and potatoes but also adding sweet potatoes. These potatoes add a lovely natural sweetness to this savory stew. Plus, adding Guinness beer and beef stock creates an amazing and delicious base. Cooking beef in beer is similar to cooking beef in wine. It not only tenderizes the meat, it adds a rich malty flavor. One serving of this fiber rich, skinny stew contains 324 calories, 5 grams fat serving and 8 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS.
- Cooking Spray
- 1Â¼ pounds lean beef stew meat, trim any fat, cut into 1-inch cubes, see shopping tip
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cups onions, chopped (about 3 onions)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste, see shopping tip
- 1 (24oz) container of Swansonâs reduced sodium beef stock, (3 cups)
- 1 (11.2oz) bottle Guinness Draught beer
- 2 bay leaves
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- Â½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups (~ 2 medium) baking potatoes, peeled and cut into Â½ inch chunks
- 2 cups (~2 medium) sweet potatoes (yams), peeled and cut into Â½ inch chunks
- 1Â½ cups carrots, peeled and cut into Â½ inch slices
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- A little water
- Coat a large nonstick pan, pot or Dutch oven with cooking spray. Add beef cubes to pan and cook for 5 minutes, over medium-high heat. Turn to brown all sides. Using a slotted spoon, remove the beef from the pan.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in the same pan. Add onions and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and continue to cook until onions are soft, about 2 more minutes. Stir often.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, stirring often.
- Stir in beef stock and Guinness, scraping down the sides to loosen the browned bits.
- Add back browned beef and stir in the bay leaves, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- Add potatoes, sweet potatoes and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer, cover and cook for 40 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots, cover and simmer for 30 more minutes.
- In a small bowl, add cornstarch and a little water and slowly mix to dissolve. Add the dissolved cornstarch to the stew and mix well. Cook uncovered over medium-high heat until stew is thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Shopping Tip-I used the lean stew meat at Trader Joeâs. It contains only 140 calories and 4 grams of fat for a 4 ounce serving. Most supermarkets also sell lean stew meat. If you canât find it, ask the butcher to prepare a package for you.
- For more skinny recipes, please join me at http://skinnykitchen.com
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 531g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 62||34%|
|Total Fat 6.98g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 2.54g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 25.18g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.1g||14%|