Skinny Bolognese, Amazingly Rich, Very Filling, Served Over Nutritious Spaghetti Squash Recipe
Everybody needs a good recipe for Bolognese and this sauce is really fabulous. My recipe is skinnier and healthier than most due to using ground turkey and draining the fat after browning. In addition, I’m adding a medley of pureed vegetables and pureed cottage cheese to create a super rich, velvety sauce. Nobody will ever guess there’s cottage cheese in the sauce! For another skinny twist, I’m serving it over spaghetti squash. The squash works great and is a terrific substitute for pasta. The skinny for one serving of sauce including the spaghetti squash is 194 calories, 3.6 grams of fat and 4 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. Below, I’ve also included the skinny facts and points for just the sauce. One bite and you’ll know why it’s my favorite…Mmm!
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- Â½ cup carrots, chopped
- Â½ cup celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1Â½ cups reduced-fat cottage cheese
- Â¼ cup tomato paste
- 1(28 oz) can diced tomatoes, in juice
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasonings
- Â½ teaspoons salt
- â teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ! large spaghetti squash, youâll need 8 cups cooked
- 1. In a large nonstick pan, brown the turkey. Break into smaller chunks while cooking. Once browned, remove from heat and pour into a colander to drain the fat. This step will cut the fat from the turkey way down. Add back to pan.
- 2. Using a mini chop, food processor or blender, add onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Process until pureed. (see shopping tip)
- 3. Add veggies to browned and drained turkey. Cook on medium heat for 2 minutes, stir often.
- 4. Add cottage cheese to a mini chop, food processor or blender and puree. Mix into turkey and vegetables and cook for 1 minute.
- 5. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 more minute. Add the tomatoes, wine, vinegar, Italian seasonings, salt, red pepper flakes and mix well. Bring up to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and cook for 40 minutes. Stir frequently.
- 6. To cook the spaghetti squash: Pierce the squash in several places with a fork. Place in microwave and cook for about 10 to 12 minutes, until soft. Let stand for 5 minutes or so afterward, to finish steaming. Cut in half and using a fork, scoop out the seeds and strands.
- 7. Serve this sauce over 1 cup spaghetti squash. Sprinkle with a little Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- 8. This sauce freezes great.
- Serves 8 (about 7-8 cups)
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 194g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 85||38%|
|Total Fat 9.53g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 2.72g||11%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 8.11g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.2g||4%|