Skinny Barbecue Sloppy Joes, A New Twist On A Old Favorite Recipe
A Sloppy Joe is a popular hearty American dish with a variety of ways to make it. The most typical being ground beef, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, mustard and various, spices. Wait until you get a mouthful of this Skinny Sloppy Joe! It’s primarily made with ground turkey, onions, barbecue sauce and tomato sauce. The skinny for one serving is 315 calories, 6 grams of fat and 7 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. This dinner is so versatile, it’s great any night of the week or for football season and would be so easy to serve on Halloween. It was so popular at my restaurant, Nancy’s Healthy Kitchen. Both kids and grown-ups adore this sandwich. It’s simply spectacular. Once you make it with barbecue sauce, you’ll never want to make it the original way again…
- 1 package (1- pound) ground turkey
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1 (18 oz) bottle of barbecue sauce (I like Sweet Baby Rayâs or Bullâs-eye original)
- 1 cup tomato sauce (from a jar or can)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 hamburger buns, warmed or toasted, I like Trader Joeâs honey whole wheat buns
- 1. In a large pan or skillet, cook the ground turkey over medium-high heat, stirring often to break up the lumps until turkey is browned.
- 2. Drain cooked turkey into a colander and blot with paper towels. Return drained turkey to pan.
- 3. Place onions in a microwave safe bowl and cook in the microwave for 4 to 5 minutes until soft.
- 4. Add the cooked onions to the turkey. Stir in the barbecue sauce, tomato sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 25 minutes. Stir a few times while simmering.
- 6. Spoon the turkey mixture onto each bun. If you have any leftovers, this mixture freezes great.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 202g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 19||7%|
|Total Fat 2.17g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.5g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 54.27g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.7g||9%|