Shrimp Bisque in a Bread Bowl Recipe
Creamy bisque soup in an edible bowl. Great meal for a cold day!
Servings: 10 cups
Cost per serving $1.89 view details
- 4 T butter
- 1 pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined, shells reserved
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 T long grain rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. cayenne pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup half and half ( I used the Fat Free version )
- 2 T sherry
- Crusty round loaves of bread for serving
- In a large dutch oven, melt 1 T of butter over medium heat. Add shrimp shells and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add in wine, scraping up any brown bits.
- Then add in chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve and into a separate bowl.
- In the same dutch oven, melt the remaining butter. Add shrimp to the pot and cook for 3 minutes until just turning opaque.
- Remove the shrimp and reserve in a bowl.
- Stir in the onion, carrot and celery to the pot and cook over medium heat until they are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the rice, bay leaf, salt and cayenne. Stir for 30 seconds, then add in broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add the tomatoes with juice to the pot and cook over medium high heat for 10 minutes stirring often. Remove Bay Leaf.
- Add shrimp back to pot.
- Kill the heat. Whip out your emulsion blender ( or your food processor) and blend the soup until smooth. I like to pull out a few shrimp before blending to add some chunkiness to the soup after blending.
- Stir in sherry and half and half.
- Cut out the center of a bread bowl. Leaving the bottom and sides in tact.
- Ladle the soup in each bowl and enjoy.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 239g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 47||34%|
|Total Fat 5.32g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 2.91g||12%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 6.49g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||4%|