Shrimp and Tofu with Bok Choy Recipe
This is a tasty, Chinese inspired dish that our family loved. Ladle it over brown or jasmine rice on a cool evening. My recipe has double the tofu of the original recipe, and I will probably use even more tofu, and less shrimp, the next time around. Feel free to adjust the quantity of each based on your tastes.
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 whole shallot, minced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 16 ounces firm or extra-firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 green onions, including tops, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 1/2 pounds bok choy, chopped
- 12 ounces peeled, deveined rock shrimp or medium prawns
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a measuring cup or bowl, stir together the broth, soy sauce, vinegar, and ketchup.
- Add the red pepper flakes to taste (1/4 teaspoon for medium heat; 1/2 teaspoon for hot). Set sauce aside.
- In a large, heavy wok or 12-inch-wide saute pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- When oil shimmers, add the shallot, ginger, and garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant, for 30 seconds.
- Add the tofu and green onions and stir until coated with aromatics.
- Stir in the bok choy and sauce mixture and let come to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the shrimp, cover again, and let cook 5 minutes more.
- In a small bowl, stir the cornstarch into 1/4 cup water. Add to pan and cook, stirring, until sauce starts to thicken, about 1 minute.
- Serve immediately.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 324g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 107||46%|
|Total Fat 12.07g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 1.1g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.26g|
|Total Carbs 10.19g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.3g||8%|