Shrimp and Tofu with Black Bean Sauce Recipe
We're on a mission to create the ultimate black bean sauce. This recipe is getting pretty close I think. I took bits from a traditional Chinese recipe and combined those with another few bits that I got from a Martin Yan recipe. The result was not as sweet as Martin Yan's, but with just enough sweetness to fill out the flavor of the dish and cause our kids to love it. Substitute red pepper flakes for the black pepper if you want to give this an extra kick.
- 1 pound peeled shrimp
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 1 pound broccoli or asparagus cut into bite size pieces
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon fermented black beans, rinsed briefly and drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin slices (3/4 cup)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or red pepper flakes)
- 1 scallion, finely shredded
- In a medium bowl, combine the shrimp, cornstarch, 1 Tbsp of the rice wine, and 1 Tbsp of soy sauce. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, mash the fermented black beans with the garlic, ginger, brown sugar, and 1 Tbsp of soy sauce. In another small bowl, combine the broth and remaining 1 tablespoon of rice wine. Set aside.
- Heat a 14-inch flat-bottomed wok or 12-inch skillet over high heat until a bead of water vaporizes within 2 seconds of contact. Swirl in the 2 tablespoons of oil, add the red onion and freshly ground black pepper, then use a spatula to stir-fry for 30 seconds or until the onions begin to wilt.
- Push the onions to the sides of the wok, carefully add the tofu, and spread it evenly in one layer in the wok or pan. Cook undisturbed for 1 minute, letting the tofu begin to sear. Stir-fry for 1 minute or until the tofu is lightly browned. Move the tofu on top of the onions and add the broccoli or asparagus and stir fry for 1 minute. Move the broccoli on top of the onions and tofu and add the shrimp and the black bean sauce. Stir fry for 1 minute. Wirl the broth mixture into the wok and cook for another minute.
- Add the shredded scallion, transfer to a plate, and serve immediately.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 192g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 32||20%|
|Total Fat 3.58g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 0.62g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 11.94g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.9g||6%|