Sand Tarts Recipe
These are a roll out and cut sugar cookie very popular with the PA Dutch. They were made only for Christmas!
- This old recipe had no instructions.
- From my own experience with these cookies, you cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Add flour a cup at a time.
- It will make a stiff dough, form into a log or two on wax paper, and put into the refrigerator for a couple hours (or overnight).
- To make cookies, roll out one portion at a time.
- Roll thin. Cut with cookie cutters into shapes, and put onto greased cookie sheet.
- Coat top with an beaten egg wash, and sprinkle with colored sugar (red/green is most popular). Also popular is topping the egg wash with chopped peanuts and cinnamon.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Be careful not to burn them.
- Cool and store in an air tight tin to keep them crisp.
- This recipe will make a bunch of cookies (we never counted them!).
- It helps to have more than one person helping on cookie baking day!
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner