Roasted Garlic Soup Recipe
I am not sure where this recipe came from before my uncle shared it with me...most likely some magazine or newspaper article.
It is delicious and is lovely served in small amounts as an elegant first course, as it is very rich.
I have served this with some grated Gruyere cheese on top, and it was wonderful too.
- 4 large garlic bulbs, tops removed
- 3 Tbsp. good quality olive oil
- 2/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 3 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Lay out a large piece of foil. Put garlic tops and bottoms in center and drizzle with about a tablespoon of the olive oil. Gather up foil, sealing loosely to keep oil from leaking out (I just put the foil package on a small cookie sheet).
- Roast in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes, until cloves are soft and golden. Squeeze out into a small bowl, removing all bits of skin, and set aside.
- SautÃ© onion in the remaining 2 Tbsp of oil until soft.
- Stir in flour to make a roux.
- Add potato, stock and water.
- Cover and cook until potato is tender
- Stir in roasted garlic.
- Add tarragon, sugar, salt and cayenne.
- At this point, I use a immersion (stick) blender to purÃ©e.
- Stir in cream and wine, just to heat through.
- Adjust seasonings. Garnish with a bit of chopped, fresh parsley and/or cheese.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1249g|
|Calories from Fat 951||65%|
|Total Fat 108.03g||135%|
|Saturated Fat 47.32g||189%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 93.9g||25%|
|Dietary Fiber 10.8g||36%|