Roast Chicken with Lemon and Herb Marinade Recipe
A simple herb-lemon marinade turns this roast chicken into a tasty family dinner. The meat is moist and the flavor delicious. This can be a healthy meat choice, depending on portion size! For those following Heart-Healthy and Diabetes-Friendly diets, salt substitute like Mrs. Dash can be used, and the skin removed before consuming. Because most of the marinade is discarded and never consumed, the nutrient information below will not reflect this; so consider the numbers listed to be higher than they actually will be.
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary (or Â½ teaspoon dried)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves (or Â½ teaspoon dried)
- Â½ teaspoons salt (or salt substitute such as Mrs. Dash)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 chicken (3 to 4 pounds)*
- Whisk lemon juice, wine or chicken broth, olive oil, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper and garlic together in large bowl. Measure out 1/3 cup of the marinade and store in a covered container in refrigerator. Wash, clean and pat dry chicken; place it in bowl with marinade, turning to coat all sides. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours, turning chicken 2-3 times.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Transfer chicken breast side up, to a rack in roasting pan. Tuck wing tips under and behind bird, and tie drumsticks together with string. (Untie string about 3/4 of the way into roasting time.) Discard any marinade in bowl.
- Brush the bird thoroughly with reserved chilled marinade. Roast chicken basting occasionally, about 1 to 1 1/4 hours* or until thermometer inserted into a thick meaty part (not touching bone) reads 180 degrees and the juices run clear.
- Remove from oven and allow to stand 10 minutes before carving.
- Yield: 3 pound chicken will make about 5-6 servings depending on portion size.
- * NOTE: A 3 Â½ to 4 pound chicken may take up to 1 3/4 hours roasting time; a 4 Â½ to 5 pound chicken may take up to 2 Â½ hours.)
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 239g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 359||67%|
|Total Fat 40.03g||50%|
|Saturated Fat 10.14g||41%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 1.94g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.3g||1%|