Ricotta Smothered Mushroom "Burger" with Sweet Onion-Olive Topping, Prosciutto, and Arugula Recipe
Between a toasted Kaiser roll is a marinated portobello mushroom cap smothered in ricotta cheese with a basil pesto topped with caramelized onions in a tomato paste with kalamata olives, layered with 2 slices of prosciutto, and then a handful of arugula.
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- salt and black pepper
- 4 portobello mushroom caps
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 rounded tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 3 tbsp store bought pesto sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
- 4 crusty Kaiser rolls, split in half, and toasted
- 8 slices prosciutto di Parma (optional)
- 1 small bunch arugula, washed and trimmed of any thick stems
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large Ziploc bag combine the balsamic vinegar, 2 tbsp olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add the portobello mushroom caps. Zip the bag completely and then shake the bag to coat the mushrooms. Arrange the mushrooms on a baking sheet gill side up. Roast the mushrooms for 12 minutes or until tender and cooked through. While the mushrooms are roasting prepare the caramelized onion topping.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with the remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add the sliced red onions, garlic, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Cook the onions, stirring frequently for about 8 minutes, or until nice and brown. While the onions are caramelizing prepare the ricotta cheese topping for the mushrooms.
- In a bowl, combine the ricotta cheese and pesto well. Once the mushrooms are done roasting for 12 minutes remove them from the oven and divide the ricotta mixture evenly among the 4 mushroom caps onto the gill side. Return to the oven for about another minute just to heat the cheese.
- Add the chicken stock and chopped olives to the onions. Turn the heat to high and continue to cook until the stock has reduced almost completely.
- Arrange one cheese topped mushroom on the bottom of each split roll. Top the cheese with some of the caramelized onions. Top that with two slices of prosciutto and some arugula. Place the top of the roll on, roll up your sleeves, brace yourself with elbows on the table, lean over your plate, and enjoy!
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 199g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 182||76%|
|Total Fat 20.48g||26%|
|Saturated Fat 3.05g||12%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 11.6g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.3g||8%|