Red Velvet Cannoli Cake Recipe
A delicious twist on a classic! Perfect for any occasion and it pairs beautifully with my Cream Cheese Buttercream Icing. Mini chocolate chips with a hint of lemon and cream cheese fill this decadent cake that will send your tastebuds on a spin/ Delicious and can be altered a little for those watching their weight. Just subsitute light unsalted/salted butter and fat free cream cheese. There is egg in the filling, for those with allergies.
I always bake my cakes at 330* for 45 minutes instead of 350* for 25-30 minutes. I also put a well in the center of the batter, dragging the batter to the edges of the greased/floured pan. This eliminates the bump that forms during the baking. The lower temp. also prevents the crust from forming on the edges of the cake, while allowing the center to bake evenly with the edges.
For buttercream, you can use egg whites instead of meringue powder, but the powder eliminates the raw egg and the heavy task of whipping the eggs. If you want to use the eggs, you need 12 egg whites and you beat them until stiff peaks form, then add the rest of the ingredients. I mix my icing for 15-20 minutes. If you only beat until creamy, the icing will be just as delicious, but if you want silky, dreamy, creamy icing, mix for 15-20 minutes. It is amazing how much the extra time makes.
- I box Red Velvet Cake mix
- 1 (8 oz. ) pkg. cream cheese, room temp.
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 + 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- Cream Cheese Buttercream
- 1 c, shortening
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
- 8 tbsp. evaporated milk.
- 1 (1 lb.) box confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1 tsp. meringue powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, room temp.
- Preheat oven to 330*
- Prepare cake mix according to package instructions.
- Pour batter into greased/floured cake pans.
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, and egg. Mix until creamy and well blended. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into the center of the cake, If you put the well in the center, as I do, you can pour the mix into the well.
- The mixture will expand up, but not out. Push cream cheese mixture evenly through the center of the cake to ensure that it fills the center of the cake,
- Bake for 45 minutes until pricked clean.
- Cream Cheese Buttercream Icing
- In large bowl, combine shortening, butter, cream cheese, milk and vanilla. Mix until creamy.
- Add meringue powder, salt and confectioner's sugar adding sugar slowly to avoid a poof of sugar in your face.
- Mix until creamy.