Red Bell Pepper Soup Recipe
Here's a wonderfully bright soup that's great year around. It's sweet and thick without the use of cream. The secret to that is the pumpkin.
Pumpkin is one of my favorite squashes. It's loaded with vitamins, water and fiber. It also adds great texture to soup and chili; yes you heard me...chili. The flavor profile of this vegetable is neutral, so it tends to absorb and blend well with other ingredients.
I also have an spicy version of this soup called "curried tomato-bell pepper soup." I use less bell pepper, more tomato and there's dairy in it.
- 4 Tbls. Butter
- 1 Lg. Onion, Diced
- 1 Lg. Red Bell Pepper, Diced
- 1 Lg. Yellow Bell Pepper, Diced
- 1 Lg. Orange Bell Pepper, Diced
- 2 Celery Stalks, Diced
- 1 Lg. Carrot, Peeled and Diced
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1 Tsp. Garlic, Minced
- 1 Quart Stewed Tomatoes, Undrained
- 2 Cups Fresh Pumpkin, Cooked and Cooled (Tip)
- 3/4 - 1 Cup Vegetable Broth (Optional)
- Optional Add-ins:
- 1/4 Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Basil, Sliced Thin and Packed Loosely
- Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, peppers, celery and carrot.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and saute vegetables until crisp tender.
- Add garlic, toss and continue to cook another 2 minutes.
- Stir in stewed tomatoes and pumpkin; add vegetable broth as needed. Keep in mind this soup is suppose to be thick.
- Remove from heat, stir in optional add-ins if using.
- Using an hand held emulsion blender or blender of choice. Puree mixture until well blended.
- Serve with crackers, small toasted bagel or fresh fruit.
- Cook's Tip:
- You can substitute the fresh pumpkin with one 15 ounce can of pumpkin puree. Do not use pumpkin pie filling. It contains additional sugar and spices used in pumpkin pie.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 251g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 54||48%|
|Total Fat 6.17g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 3.72g||15%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 14.49g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.6g||9%|