Quick & Easy Tomato Soup Recipe
This is a quick and easy tomato soup. It is rich and creamy. It works nice for a quick weeknight meal served with a sandwich or good bread and a salad. This recipe is adapted from one that appeared in Fine Cooking magazine several years ago. The recipe makes a fair amount and leftovers keep well refrigerated for a few days.
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced.
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
- 3 clove garlic, pressed and creamed
- 28 oz canned plum tomatoes, processed or blended until smooth.
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 3 tbs cornstarch
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- Salt/garlic pepper to taste
- Saute onion, celery and bell pepper in oil over medium heat until translucent. About 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute until fragrant. About 1 minute.
- Add plum tomatoes, chicken stock and tomato paste.
- Cover bring to a low simmer. Simmer for about 20 mintues until vegetables are soft and flavors meld.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and let the cool slighty. Blend in batches in a blender, processor or with an emulsion blender until very smooth.
- Mix corn starch and whole milk to combine.
- Bring soup mixture to a boil. Add the milk/cornstarch and return to boil to thicken. Stir constantly so cornstarch does not stick to pot.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary
- Soup is ready for service.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 317g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 61||45%|
|Total Fat 6.92g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 1.41g||6%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 15.81g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.0g||10%|