Poulet A La Montrachet (Chicken And Mushrooms In Cream Sauc Recipe
Cost per serving $1.06 view details
- 1 x Free-range chicken (2 kg [4 lb])
- 225 gm (8 ounce) small spring carrots
- 225 gm (8 ounce) small onions (pickling size)
- 225 gm (8 ounce) button mushrooms
- 25 gm (I ounce) butter
- 1 x Long branch tarragon or possibly 1 sprig each thyme, rosemary, parsley
- 1 x Bay leaf
- Â Â Salt, black pepper
- 150 ml (1/4 pint) white burgundy
- 2 lrg Egg yolks
- 300 ml (1/2 pint) double cream
- I made this one last night and was quite pleased with it, though the sauce turned out a bit thin. I probably didn't cook the sauce long sufficient but I was afraid of curdling it, something I've been quite good at lately. BTW, I couldn't find any white burgundy so I used white Zinfandel instead.
- Wipe the chicken inside and out with a cloth wrung out in boiling water. Cut into 10 serving pcs: 2 drumsticks, 2 thighs, 2 wings and 2 breasts halved. Scrape the carrots and peel the onions. Wipe the mushrooms with a damp cloth and trim the stalks. Heat the butter in a heavy iron cocotte [heavy frying pan or possibly Dutch oven. S.C.] over low heat and when foaming add in the pcs of chicken, the carrots and onions, and the herbs tied together. Season with salt and pepper, add in the wine, cover and cook for 30 min, moving the ingredients around occasionally to prevent colouring. When the carrots and onions are tender remove them with a slotted spoon, cover and keep warm over a pan of boiling water.
- Slice the mushrooms finely, add in to the pan, sprinkle with salt, cover and simmer for a further 20 min. Beat the egg yolks into the cream and set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the pan to a heated serving dish, place the vegetables around it in small groups, cover with foil and keep warm.
- Using the back of a fork, work the meat residue from the bottom of the pan into the cooking juices. Bring to boiling point, remove the herbs, and draw the pan from the heat. Add in a Tbsp. of pan juices to the cream, stir well and return this mix to the pan, stirring constantly till thick. Pour immediately over the chicken and serve without delay.
- The excellent sauce of this dish is best appreciated when accompanied by plain noodles or possibly boiled rice.
- Makes 6 servings.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 100g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 82||64%|
|Total Fat 9.32g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 5.38g||22%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 6.07g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.8g||3%|